Monday, October 25, 2004

On New Jersey

For well over a year now I am sure that most of you have been wondering why anyone would pick up stakes and move to New Jersey. After reading this post, I am also sure that many of you will continue to wonder. I myself have grown to enjoy pondering why anyone would choose to live in New Jersey. Putting aside the harsh and bitter winter cold, the obscenely dense traffic at all hours of the day and night, the outrageously high cost of living, and the general sense of doom and despair that hangs in the air along with the smog, I can think of only a few reasons why anyone would not wish to live here in the jewel of the Mid-Atlantic. And here they are, in no particular order.

#1 Instead of Fox Sports SouthWest and Big 12 football every Saturday, I am stuck here observing the scandal that is Big East football. Instead of watching a very important bedlam matchup next weekend, I will probably be stuck with entertainment similar to last Saturday's riveting matchup featuring Rutgers and Pittsburgh. I may get to catch Syracuse take on New Hampshire. Lucky me.

#2 Sonic Drive-In is poised to complete their crawling advance to the north very soon. A new location opened up in Philadelphia, a short 2 hours away (if you are lucky). Of course, the next closest locations in Baltimore and Pittsburgh mean that Sonic's dream of being a nationwide franchise have finally come true. Meanwhile, denizens of Perkins, Cushing, Stillwater, and Shawnee are laughing their heads off at these stupid Yankees. Can an Oklahoman even throw an Aggie without hitting a Sonic?

Enough for now. My neighbors may not appreciate the good-natured fun. (Hey, I am sure you have seen the Sopranos. I am done here, lest I be gutted like a fish)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristopher Kinzie said...

Does anybody actually miss Sonic up there Mateo? I wouldn't. It'd actually be nice to drive a half mile without seeing one. I have a particular gripe with Sonic. They started building them with so many parking/ordering stations that there's actually nothing Sonic about their food. You end up sitting in your car and sucking fumes just to end eating cold soggy food. Matt, try to enjoy the Sonic free world you live in while you can. Like you said...soon there will be one going up in your front yard, and nobody wants ugly women in roller skates coming in to borrow your bathroom between shifts.

October 25, 2004 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home