Friday, January 07, 2005

On Excuses

I do not like excuses much, so I am going to apologize for the few pithy excuses I am about to make.

As I said earlier, I am in the midst of finals. One more week and everything will be written, typed and/or turned in. Then a week off before the madness begins again. So I am probably going to be silent for another week or so. Unless I throw in the towel and choose to ignore the mountain of work I need to do. Tempting...

Speaking of throwing in the towel, I must admit that I did not watch the 4th quarter of the Orange Bowl. It was far too painful and was some of the sloppiest defensive football I may have ever seen. I hesitate to proclaim it the worst because the defense I participated in as a high school senior may have been worse, but only at times. My excuse for not watching USC grind it in our faces: the Daily Show was on.

As for the Rose Bowl, I have a great excuse. Kinda. I had been saying from the beginning of the season that my boys in maize and blue were in for it this year. No QB, no RB, patchwork defense. I was tickled pink that they made the Rose Bowl and won a share of the Big Ten title. How hard was that to do? Ask Ok State how good the Big Ten was this year. Michigan discovered a freshman QB and RB that will let them contend to go back to a BCS bowl next year, and likely the year after that. So, Michigan was just being generous because their future is bright and Texas has to play (read: lose to) Oklahoma every year.

So, enough excuses until my grades are complete. Then I will just blame it all on the pneumothorax.

5 Comments:

Blogger carlymarie said...

sorry about the orange bowl loss Matt. Actually....no i'm not sorry in the least. I watched every minute of the game and savored every moment. What was it that you were saying to me just a few days prior when I showed up to your house in USC gear? That USC hadn't played a tough team yet and haven't proven themselves? That USC didn't stand a chance against OU? I think you may have been wrong....but thanks for not making excuses for their poor performance. Living in OK right now, I've heard every excuse in the world. "The grass was too slippery" That's got to be the best one yet.....

January 07, 2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger matt said...

Let the record clearly state that I never said USC "did not stand a chance." I merely questionned the strength of the Pac-10. USC did not have to play a difficult conference opponent (see Cal's embarassing loss to Tex Tech). USC's opener against Va Tech was their last test. They had a lot to prove. OU just made too many boneheaded errors to give them a real test. Auburn could probably take us both.

January 08, 2005 8:36 AM  
Blogger carlymarie said...

After watching years of botched attempts at a national championship, I hardly think an honest OU fan could be satisfied just with playing in the game. Just to razz the ou fans in my guard unit yesterday, I claimed that it would be a good idea to send Stoops packing. Much to my surprise, an article in The Daily Oklahoman (read..."the Daily OU") interviewed many OU fans who felt the same. That's the problem with OU fans....no loyalty. I love OSU and I love the fact that we were in a bowl game these last couple of years because I remember the recent past when our only win during the season was to Baylor. And let it be known that I'm more of a basketball fan anyways. I would trade a gigantic lose in a bowl anyday, for an appearance in the final four. It's just a matter of priority.

January 10, 2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger carlymarie said...

the basketball team is a front (albeit a very entertaining front!). As I have interacted with many of the players in class, read aticles on Sutton's spiritual reconciliation, and have talked to friends who go to church with our starters, I simply cannot keep silent about the amazing grace-filled blessing that Sutton offers these guys. He made mistakes in his past, and was redeemed. Who better to take in a player who has lost a scholarship because of a past mistake? Just ask Tony Allen. This is not about basketball, but it certainly makes a very entertaining venue to witness lives being changed.

January 14, 2005 12:39 PM  
Blogger carlymarie said...

a second chance is deserved no matter what area you accel in. We all get them, whether it be through the means of the arena, classroom, friendships, etc...everyone has their niche. I just want to see something like Curry's second chance for what it is....exceeding the boundry of the shot clock and yes, even the limited venue we recognize as college basketball. anyways, we should stop bugging matt so feel free to rant and rave at my site: www.carlymariewitt.blogspot.com

January 14, 2005 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home