Wednesday, October 27, 2004

On $800k

Baseball again, but then the season is over tonight (?), so just deal with it.

Barry Bonds has now hit 700 home runs over his career. Which, incidentally, is about 700 more than I ever hit in my career, but I could bunt way better than he ever dreamed of. He may just be the best baseball player of my lifetime. His 700th homerun was certainly a historic moment. And I must not be the only person to think so, because some moron paid $804,129 for that baseball via an overstock.com auction. No typos here, once again, $804,129. If only I could have been the guy who dropped the hot dog and peanuts jumping up to snatch my one-way ticket to financial security at that game. Small price to pay for more clams than I will ever see in my lifetime.

Then again, I did catch a ball once too. I was in Stillwater, OK at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium with my good friend Ryan Maloney. A young man named Thad Chaddrick fouled of an 0-2 pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning (sure, why not? I was 13 years old, like I'd remember. But it makes for a good story. ) I outran the 8 year old girl and her little brother while Maloney held our sodas. I took that ball home proudly and proceeded to never play a single game of catch with it. Chaddrick made my investment pay off later that year when he was chosen in the 37th round of the 1994 Major League Baseball draft (#1,036 overall).

http://www.sports-wired.com/draft/1994/JuneR/d37.shtml

So, in comparison to Bonds' $800,129 hunk of leather, my piece of baseball history has gotta be worth at least seventy-five cents. And that, my friends, is three more quarters towards that next load of laundry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristopher Kinzie said...

I'm sitting her with my dad in C-town, and being the huge OSU cowboy fan that he is he'll up that bid to an even $1.00. Now we're talking laundry Matt!!! Anyway....Dad says hello. Hope you get to catch the bedlam game. We'll all be there, in our redish orange mix up. Hope to see you back in Big Cush soon. Dad says he'll put together some rootbeer floats...on the house!

October 29, 2004 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home