Tuesday, January 18, 2005

On Looking Ahead

With fall finals officially behind me, I am already gearing up for the spring (gritting my teeth all week). One of my astute professors did not want us to be too bored, so he e-mailed an assignment for a class I have not started yet. I must familiarize myself with 19th century German philosophical movements (Schelling, Hegel, Romantics, etc) and begin reading a textbook. Luckily, I am looking at three days of sub-freezing daytime highs. German philosophy sounds like fun.

Here is a quick and dirty of my spring, so you can know where I am coming from

The Doctrine of the Atonement> Seems kinda important, right? Why not take a class on it? Because it is at 8am!

The Theology of Friedrich Schleiermacher> What? Never heard of him? You must not be a seminarian. Don't worry much about it though. I'll read it all and tell you what is important. Trust me (this sentence followed by a maniacal laugh).

Introduction to the Christian Mystical Tradition> This class will examine the medieval roots of Christian mysticism, and we wil not discuss Gandalf at all. No spell casters (or Deepak Chopra fanatics) need apply.

Theory and Practice of Pastoral Care> A late, but useful, addition to my schedule. Go ahead and laugh, but there is more to it than building programs, cheesy poems, dramatic sermons, and charisma. I hope.

Preaching II> More of the same. My final general requirement.

Field Education> More of the same. My other final general requirement.

Ask for peace, grace, sound sleep, and clear thinking. Again, if you have any suggestions for next fall, better let me know by mid-March.


2 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

Heh heh. Remember that class? Senior year, my girlfriend sends this guy a letter which began "We sincerely regret to inform you that..." about the time he was applying for grad school. It ended by stating that his new undergrad major would be underwater basketweaving and that his new residence would be a tent in the middle of campus. The face you made when you read that first sentence was classic... I must agree with Grant. Christian Mysticism and Schleiermacher. Mmm... Sounds robust!

January 18, 2005 11:44 PM  
Blogger JGaroutte said...

sounds exciting... I heard you had a collapsed lung--don't worry, I'm not a stalker... It's Jamin... You actually knew me once, but I wouldn't be surprised if you forgot... I'm a friend of shecky's, and I just thought I'd say hey and see how you were doing (I know what the pneumothorax feels like)... my lung did the same thing my sophmore year at OBU (I'm pretty sure you were around then, but as I said, it was a while back). It's good to hear that you're hard at work! God Bless!

January 19, 2005 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home