Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Blogging Mission Statement

In order to provide a more enjoyable blog-reading experience, I am taking stock of what it is I do here. Just what am I doing here? I don't think I have ever asked that question before sitting down to blog. I usually just get fired up about something that I just thought of or heard about.

While this may indeed be a winning strategy, I now realize my grave error. I am not taking my not-so-captive audience into consideration. In fact, I rarely think of who is reading this at all. This makes me:
A> arrogant
B> self-centered
C> a fool to expect anyone to read this
(except for you, stick, I know how boring work must be)

So, I am going to jot down a few preliminary ideas to blog about. Feel free to let me know if the following sound deathly boring or fruitful for you, my reader.

1) I am going to keep an online tab of my many experiences giving directions to random people who ask me how to find things. I have claimed that it is at least a weekly ocurrence between my wife and I, so we will all see if I am exaggerating. Sadly, however, this idea still seems to be for me.

2) I hope to comment from time to time on my summer reading chores. I am working through Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, translating Romans very slowly, and reading as much John H. Yoder as I can squeeze in. Feel free to tune these postings out, or not.

3) I have consciously tried to avoid using this blog as a running public diary because those make me insane. It would be nice to know what everyone is doing out there right up until the point where they tell you everything they are doing. That makes for terrible reading. But I may write more about major events in life while trying to avoid the autobiography.

4) I sometimes think I want to talk theology here. Then I read the Pub. There, a friend of mine has developed a knack for attracting every fundamentalist with a computer. The resulting fracas consists of little in the way of constructive dialogue. Straw men sit at every corner. I need that like I need a paper arse. If I wanted to argue with a fence post, I would move back to the Midwest. But maybe I can try to speak a theological word or two. Suggestions?

Enough of this. Sound off, offer advice, poke fun, or inquire.

5 Comments:

Blogger JGaroutte said...

Seems a lot of people are having some questions about blogging... My advice?... uhmmm... post whatever is on your mind... it'll help you get it outta your brain to concentrate better, as well as help you collect your thoughts well... if that be what you ate for breakfast, do it... if it be the inner workings of nuclear physics, so be it... the question you should ask is "Am I blogging to see how many responses I get? or am I blogging for my own... whatever it is?"

May 19, 2005 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew Dell, May 13th, please do write something about your life from time to time so that those of us who live on the other side of the world and haven't seen you in forever and a day can know a little more of how you're doing and what you are up to. That's my two sense. Peace to you.

May 24, 2005 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are taking this bloggin thing way too seriously. People aren't coming here to sit under your tutolage (sp?). They should be coming here to participate in whatever conversation you want to bring up.

Good luck with Kant. I am extremely glad to say that I will never be required to read him again. Not that he didn't have anything good to say. Just that I don't understand why in the hell everything he said had to be completely unreadable.

May 28, 2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Kant?... Why?

May 28, 2005 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoder! Yoder! Hmmmm.....if I can get you to read everything I've wanted to read but haven't had time for, then blog about it.....yes, yes, I like this idea. 500 words on whatever you're reading by Yoder, handed in by the end of the week.

August 09, 2005 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home