Saturday, December 03, 2005

Moving On

Satire is a wonderful thing. Few forms of communication can be so piercing and illuminative while also not becoming voerly cynical. I read satire to learn things about myself, my world, and sometimes my church.

Larknews.com was recommended to me by a friend during college. I instantly found it ridiculously funny, but a few minutes later I was re-evaluating the small, subconscious categories and characterizations I was making. My own absurdity was revealed. Anyone who has ever seriously studied Swift's Gulliver's Travels knows what I mean.

Inspired by my own remarks about cynicism a few weeks back, and by the wisdom only a sister-in-law can possess, I have decided to discontinue my link to larknews.com. I really do not read it any longer, because it is no longer (very) funny but tragic. It was quite helpful satire for life at OBU. Larknews served as a reminder that the things many people were taking seriously were quite ridiculous. But it has lost its edge on me. Now, it just fuels the fires of cynicism. That is the last thing I need right now.

I am not claiming to be more mature suddenly, or to have become enlightened to the point of ultimate knowledge. But I believe this satire of Christian evangelical subculture has done its work on me. I am ready to get involved. Therefore, I commend it to you one last time, here. Read it, laugh a little, then tell me what you think of it. I hope it offends you in a constructive way.

4 Comments:

Blogger matt said...

Rules, schmooles. You go, girl.

December 06, 2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger carlymarie said...

You're so wise Michelle. Hook me up with that book when you're done. By the way, is there any rule against posting messages to the wife of the blogger? I'll promise to stay on subject.

December 07, 2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger JGaroutte said...

You familiar with Tony Jones??? Used to be in youth ministry, now getting his Doctorate in Practical Theology... I think you'd like him... though you may or may not agree with him, I could see the two of you getting together to talk late into the night regularly... He's written a few books (found in the Christian section), but here's his blog:

theoblogy.blogspot.com

Just thought I'd share... take it as you wish.

December 07, 2005 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, larknews still makes me laugh. I'm not sure it did anything constructive for me, though.

December 09, 2005 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home