Thursday, September 15, 2005

One Last Fall

This is my penultimate semester at Princeton Theological Seminary. What a long strange trip it has been. To keep you informed and prepare you for the subject of my rantings for the next few months, here is my fall lineup.

The Doctrine of Election> Hey, c'mon now, don't start hacking on me. Everybody has one even if they do not believe in predestination. Stellar readings in everything from Augustine to Calvin to Barth and back.

The Theology of Paul Tillich> To do theology in America, you have to know two names: Reinhold Niebuhr and Paul Tillich. I am doing Niebuhr in the spring and Tillich now. Initially I am not inclined to be a tremendous fan, but I am sure that I will find something instructive.

Marriage and Family during the Reformation> All these weddings taking place the past few years have got me thinking: "What the heck are we (am I) doing here?" I am going to go back to the source of the Protestant wedding craze and try to sort all this out before we (I) screw it all up.

Foundations of Missional Theology> Where else would I get to throw around words like "post-Christendom" and hang out with other baptists?

The Theology of John Howard Yoder> My fall gem: an independent study with a professor I admire on a topic I love. May be a launching pad to further study, or it may convince me to abandon the academy altogether. Stay tuned to find out. (PS> Yes, I am a pacifist).

That is where I am coming from.

2 Comments:

Blogger JGaroutte said...

Sounds like a sweet line up!!! YeeYEAyuh!

September 16, 2005 12:29 AM  
Blogger Clint said...

So, I want to hear about this marriage class thing as a continuation of our previous discussion. For those who aren't aware, we had brought up the question earlier of when is a couple truly married, or, better stated, when is the marriage spiritually consumated? At what point? I don't think we ever fully answered that question, and I"m curious as to what you find out. Keep us posted.

September 26, 2005 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home