Thursday, February 08, 2007

Spring Lineup

The title of this post is meant to conjure up good feelings about baseball season's rapid approach. My Red Sox have a new lineup, and with the exception of JD Drew I am excited about it. I am going to be complaining about Drew all summer (and hopefully deep into the fall), so just get used to it.

And here is my own fall lineup.

>The Radical Reformation: A seminary in church history focusing on those people I now count as my forefathers and mothers. A very helpful course, for any Anabaptist theologian has to meander through a highly variegated garden of potential historical sources.

>Contemporary Systematic Theology: Here we are asking the basic questions. Method. What key assumptions drive a theology forward or hold it back? Only those who take up the task after Barth and Tillich are covered here, which makes it a wild and wooly experience.

>20th Century Catholic Renascence: Just keeping tabs on what the Vatican has been up to the last 100 years. Did you know they have been producing a windfall of terrific literature to complement the renewal in theology? I'll tell you all about it after I pass the class.

>And our departmental colloqium is reading Dostoevsky. The Brothers Karamazov and The Underground Man are two absolutely stunning pieces of literature. I have been thoroughly unsettled since picking them up. Few authors have been able to capture their audience's attention and expose their most guarded and hidden assumptions.

Let's hope I can survive it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

Dude, I told you the BrotherĀ“s Karamazov was the coolest book ever. Definitely keep me posted on what you think.

February 12, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Erin and Nathan said...

Mmm, sounds like you're busy. If I weren't reading about aerodynamics and instrument approaches and the like, I'd definitely pick up some of that Dostoevsky action. Speaking of which, what the heck happened to our blogging conversation? Did it get too heavy and implode all over itself? I think so. Good attempt, though. Life kind of got in the way. Let's keep in contact-I'm afraid we're letting ourselves slip out of community. I know that I'm guilty of that. I've been a bit reclusive lately because of the painful, yet calming changes going on in our lives...but enough of that. Since you haven't given up on telephones, we'll have to use it!

Good to see you're still kicking brother!

June 05, 2007 1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home