Monday, September 18, 2006

Early Season Thoughts

I had not realized how much I had missed living in this part of the country until the past few weekends. Rutgers can play a little football (with the emphasis on little), but I want to see the Big 12 on Saturday. Give me Tech, OState, A&M, UT, and my Sooners on Saturday. Keep Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Maryland. Life is good.

Here are thoughts about my two favorite teams.

Sorry peeps, but the Sooners have struggled and will continue to struggle. I am counting on perhaps four losses this year. Don't blame Bomar/Thompson, blame the inexperienced and untested defense. Before watching the first two games, I would have never expected to be questioning a defense coached by Stoops. But they stink against the run and get beat deep. I know that the guys who got baked by USC are long gone, but that dreadful loss still haunts the defense.

As for Michigan: no coronations yet. I am worried sick that these guys are going to convince me a few weeks from now that they deserve to be called a title contender. They are going to tease me this year, I know it. But I don't think for a minute that the decisive win against Notre Dame this weekend means too much. The Irish were (and continue to be) the most overrated team of the last decade. They can't stop the run, can't defend the pass, can't run the ball, and rely on a girly looking baseball player to catch their passes. Brady Quinn for the Heismann, huh? He reminds me more of Ron Powlus. Big Blue was going to roll these clowns up. But can they beat Ohio State?

It is nice to use my brain and my fingers for something other than theology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home