Thursday, March 30, 2006

I Spy

I was sitting...somewhere...in my apartment this morning when I saw a very familiar yet unexpected sight in the newest issue of Newsweek.

I saw Raley Chapel.

For the uninitiated and un-baptist, that is the monstrous behemoth that serves as a place of worship at Oklahoma Baptist Unviersity in Shawnee, OK. And what did the my embattled alma mater make national news for? Here is a hint: Jerry Falwell and the heirs of Oral Roberts didn't do it, but Mark Brister (the school president) did. Answer: Let the Christian gay-rights group SoulForce visit campus peacefully and legally. Read about it here, and even see the picture.

Is anyone else surprised? Can anybody more informed than me offer some color to this most-unusual and unprecedented event?

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Thanks for the heads-up. It is always an interesting experience to see the little corner of the universe that is OBU present on the national stage.

I was frankly pleasantly surpised at the administration's reaction; my sister's fiancee forwarded me an e-mail sent to all students announcing that SoulForce would be coming to campus. Nevertheless, the e-mail reinforced the university's current--and misguided--policies. I wonder how this move will sit with the trustees.

March 31, 2006 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out these links: http://www.equalityride.com/oklahomabaptist and http://www.equalityride.com/article.php?article_id=213 for press releases from the SoulForce website. I think the bus was planning to come to OBU whether they had permission or not--perhaps the administration wanted to avoid what happened at Liberty, where 12 of the riders were apparently arrested. Good move, Bison.

April 01, 2006 2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you heard about the new gospel? Check it out: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/04/06/gospel.judas.ap/index.html Do you know the Princeton prof quoted in that article?

April 06, 2006 11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home