Wednesday, November 10, 2004

On Church Signs

I am not fond of church marketing. A well-advertised church is usually larger, more wealthy, and often empties out quickly on Sundays after the benediction. The congregation is more prone to leave when the pastor does, never really finding a home among the people. Churches usually market things like music and entertaining preaching, things which I do not put a high premium on personally.

But yet, I got an interesting e-mail this week. The church I am now a member (and a deacon) of is situated on a roadside where at least 5,000 cars a day pass by. If it sounds hard to believe, just trust me. It is a New Jersey phenomenon. One of those 5,000 people yesterday saw our sign and wrote an e-mail via the church website (again, not something I personally spent time on). She wanted to know if there is anything to hope for in this world. So, our webmaster told her what we as a church hope for. I don't guess this would have happened without a good sign.

So, help me out people. Do I need to lighten up and get on board with the Rick Warren PR train? Is that the way the 21st century church is going to do things? I think I feel a catharsis coming on.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only sign I could ever be comfortable with would read something like this, "The Poor and the homeless are welcome here". I have not idea, if it's not something like this, it would mean for a sign to be done correctly. I think this church board garbage is another great example of how the American church is turning into and American business endeavor.

November 19, 2004 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think I should type slower so that my posts make a little more sense.

November 19, 2004 1:24 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

My church just spent somewhere near $1600 on a new lighted sign. It even has an electronic scrolling marquee to display time, temp, and lame slogans. It's not so bad. Maybe they can use the marquee to tell the homeless how cold they are.

December 01, 2004 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home